Sunday, February 6, 2011

Helicopter Mom

My definition of a helicopter mom is the mom who doesn't let her child experience consequences. She rescues her child with the intent of protecting him or her but keeps her child from accepting responsibility for his or her actions. This is not something I want to be.

However.

At this point in Jesse's life, I do take responsibility for almost everything that happens to him. Jesse rolled/fell/climbed out of his crib at 9 months, because I didn't lower the crib. Jesse broke a glass, because I didn't keep him from it. Thankfully, he hasn't experienced any horrible injury from these and many more mishaps.

SO.

I take responsibility for what happened with my boy this morning. Scott got up early and left to help set-up at church. We meet in an elementary school, so every Sunday we have to turn it into a church. I got my boy ready and SO handsome for church. See?

( Jesse won't look at the camera and pose. So we have to be happy with action shots for now.)

As I was getting ready in the bathroom, Jesse walked out lookin so cute. He came back in a minute or two later like this:

I don't know how it happened, except that his Mama dressed him in pants that were too big. My fault, but still surprising and amusing that he figured out how to wiggle out of his pants. That was certainly a first. :)

I still took Jesse to church in those too-big-for-him pants. I shouldn't have been shocked when we heard from the nursery workers that Jesse had tried taking off his pants a few times in the nursery.

I take responsibility for his actions. It's my fault. If I had dressed him in pants that fit better, he wouldn't have been taking off his clothes at church.

Maybe this doesn't make me a Helicopter Mom. It probably makes me a failed Helicopter Mom. I want to protect him from these consequences, but I didn't do it this time. Poor kid. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment